April 1, 2021

Hello Parents,

Friday, April 2 is a student and staff holiday. Spring is a time of new beginnings, and I am excited that we are able to begin the road back to pre-pandemic life. Below is information regarding EOC testing, the transition from hybrid learning, information regarding prom and graduation. I know that along with these transitions come many questions, please do not hesitate to reach out and ask. I will do my best to answer them.

IHaga clic aquí para obtener la traducción al español

Testing Information

STAAR EOC Testing is approaching quickly. All testers will receive an email from jnovosel@aisd.net to their AISD email and the parent email address on file in TEAMS with information on when and where to test. Testing students will report to campus at 7:35 and will be done testing around 1 pm when they may leave campus to complete asynchronous assignments or if waiting on transportation may wait in the cafeteria until the busses run at the end of the school day.

The test dates are:

April 6, 2021 English I

April 8, 2021 English II

May 4, 2021 Algebra I

May 5, 2021 US History

May 6, 2021 Biology

On the test dates above non-testers will not report to school, but will remain at home and complete assignments asynchronously.

Transition from Hybrid Learning

After careful review with Tarrant County Public Health and the Arlington Public Health Authority, the Arlington ISD has decided to end the hybrid model of instruction at our high schools beginning April 13. We believe that now is the right time to bring as many students back into our classrooms as possible as the percent of positive COVID-19 cases drop while vaccinations rise.

We sent a survey to each high school student and asked them to select whether they want to learn in person five days a week at school or learn virtually five days a week from home. We’ve copied the survey for you below so that you have the information to discuss with your child/ren. The decision that you make will be in place from April 13 – May 26.

We are looking forward to welcoming students back to our campus and also supporting our virtual learners. Please let me know if you have any questions about the survey.

HS Learning Environment Questionnaire

Please help Arlington ISD plan for your final six weeks of instruction, April 13 through the end  of the school year, by letting us know the instruction mode you prefer.

If your child is currently a remote instruction at home student, they will see this question:

Student Name - You currently receive remote instruction at home.

Hybrid instruction at school will no longer be an option beginning on April 13th through the end of the school year. You will have the option to learn in-person at school five days a week or learn virtually five days a week at home. You won’t be able to switch back and forth beginning on April 13th so please consider the options carefully.

Note - if you do not select a learning option, you will default to remote instruction at home.

o I want to receive remote instruction at home. (1)

o I want to receive in-person instruction at school. (2)

If your child is currently a hybrid instruction at school student, they will see this question:

Student Name - You currently receive hybrid instruction at school.

Note - if you do not select a learning option,you will default to in-person learning at school.

o I want to receive in-person instruction at school. (1)

o I want to receive remote instruction at home. (2)

If we do not have instructional information for your child, they will see this question:

Student Name - Please select the mode of instruction you would like to receive during the final six weeks of the school year.

Note - if you do not select a learning option, you will default to in-person learning at school.

AHS Student Media, Yearbook, Colt newspaper

2021 Yearbooks

Time is running out to order your child the 2021 Yearbook. Order online at www.yearbookordercenter.com , school code 10016, or call our bookkeeper at 682-867-8100. To guarantee your child will get a book at distribution, orders must be made by April 16.

Literary Magazine

If your child is artistic, musical, or otherwise creative we would like to support them and showcase their work in our Literary Magazine "In the Margins". We accept poetry, fiction, nonfiction, art, photography, music and film. A submission form can be found online at www.coltnews.com under the "In the Margins" tab or submissions can be emailed to inthemarginslitmag@gmail.com

Academic Decathalon

Does your student enjoy competition? Are they an avid reader? Do they enjoy receiving honors credit? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then Academic Decathlon is the class for them! Click on the link to learn more about the class and competition or contact Talia Barker (traley@aisd.net), Tanner Grimm (tgrimm@aisd.net), or Patrick Smith (psmith12@aisd.net). Here is the link: https://forms.gle/f8i7ZZBrLcHuxbcU8

Prom

I’m happy to announce that one of the highlights for many high school students – prom – will be returning this spring. While it may look a little different and there are many details still to be worked out, prom will happen provided the COVID-19 statistics continue to trend down.

CDC guidelines and Arlington ISD safety protocols will be followed, which include:

• Health screening surveys for all students and staff
  • Temperature checks before entry for all students and staff
  • Social distancing practiced where possible
  • Masks required for entry
  • Possible COVID rapid tests prior to entry

Arlington High School's prom will be located at AT&T Stadium, May 22nd 6pm-11pm. Tickets will be on sale after school April 13-16 for $65 and April 20-21 for $70. More details regarding ticket sales are forthcoming. When we know more about the attendance size, we will provide a detailed list of protocols. If Tarrant County Public Health or the CDC change any of their recommendations that impact the ability to host a safe Prom, you will hear that news directly from us.

Graduation

In an effort to ensure as safe of a graduation as possible, we are moving the dates and moving the location of Arlington ISD graduations to AT&T Stadium.

The move from UTA's College Park Center will allow families to socially distance and watch your student graduate in a safe environment. The change in venue also necessitated a change in dates for the graduation. Arlington High School will now graduate at June 3, 2021 12 p.m.

We are working with Jostens, our announcement supplier, to produce inserts with the corrected time, date, and location, and hope to have those available soon. I know the next big question will be about tickets and how many. We do not have that information at this time, but as that answer and other details become clearer, we will share with you.

Hybrid Calendar

Teacher Newsletters

We will continue to update teacher newsletters every Friday. I will always place the link in my weekly parent message. See below to access your child’s classes.

Newsletter Links

Please feel free to reach out to me at sdhalla@aisd.net with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Thank you for your continued support of our school!!!

Kick ‘em Colts!!!
Shahveer Dhalla
sdhalla@aisd.net
Principal
THE Arlington High School