Vision, hearing, and spinal screening is beginning in Arlington ISD. Students routinely screened for vision and hearing are those in grades Pre-K 4, K, 1, 3, 5, and 7. Those who routinely receive spinal screening are girls in 5th and 7th grade and boys in 8th grade. Due to challenges from COVID, some students in routine screening grades may not be screened this school year.
Students who are virtual learners and do not attend class on campus may make an appointment and receive screening. Please call your school nurse if you wish to have your child screened.
You may bring a screening result from a healthcare provider dated after June 1, 2020 in place of on campus screening.
Please contact your school nurse if you have concerns about your child—
Signs of vision problems include:
- Tilting the head
- Sitting too close to the television
- Rubbing eyes constantly
- Moving eyes in abnormal alignment
Signs of hearing problems include:
- Your child wants volumes louder than other members of the family
- Your child often says “What?”
- It seems like your child isn’t listening
- Your child seems to hear fine sometimes and not others
Signs your child may have an abnormal spinal curvature:
- Uneven shoulders or hips
- Ribs that are prominent or stick out in one area
- Muscles that are prominent in the lower back or bulge on one side