The goal of the Family Literacy Department is to help our parents to be successful partners in the education for their children. We offer Adult Education classes for parents of children in Arlington Title 1 schools. Our dedicated and experienced instructors assist parents to gain or improve literacy skills as well as to prepare to take the GED exam. We also offer Early Literacy classes for our adult students' children while they attend class. Our classes are free of charge; including the Early Literacy Program.
- Adults: Must have children in an AISD Title I school.
- Children: Must be 6 months to three-years-old and must be children of an adult student attending our program.
English as Second Language (ESL)
These classes are for parents that are learning English as a second language. The Family Literacy program provides classes for ESL students at all levels from basic to advance. Our classes are designed to reach students at any level. We assist families, from helping students who may be illiterate in their native language to helping students with degrees from other countries just needing help to communicate in English. Our curriculum follows the Texas Content Standards for Adult Education.
Our program assists parents in gaining standard Adult Basic Education skills. Our dedicated instructors teach Reading, Writing, Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science according to each individual’s identified need. The ultimate goal is for the students in this class to obtain a General Education Development Certification (GED). We assist our students in gaining the confidence and the skills to successfully take and obtain the GED. We also refer advanced students to college and higher education institutions in the area. Our curriculum follows the Texas Content Standards for Adult Education.
Early Literacy Classes (ELC)
The objective of the ELC program is to provide an education opportunity for our parents’ children who are 6 months to 3 years old. These classes are offered while the parents attend the ESL or ABE/GED classes. Our certified staff provides the children with age appropriate literacy activities as well as Math and Science lessons. Our curriculum is based on the Texas Pre-Kindergarten Guidelines.
The ELC Provides the following:
- Childcare enabling parents to attend classes
- Materials and guidance to prepare young students for Kindergarten
- Early Literacy as well as Math and Science Education
- Development Support
- The opportunity for PACT time (Parents and Children Learning Together)
- Parents with strategies and educational materials to help their children at home
We provide daily classes, Monday - Friday. Students have two choices:
- Morning: Monday - Friday from 8:15-11:15 AM
- Afternoon: Monday - Friday from 12:15-3:15 PM
The Family Literacy Program is located in the portables that face Carter Dr. at Veda Knox Elementary School.
How Do I Enroll?
We currently have a waiting list to be enrolled in our program. Please call 682-867-7267 or come by our office to make sure your name is on the waiting list. We will call you to make an appointment as soon as there is a seat available. Please bring to your appointment:
- Photo ID: We accept any government issued ID including Mexican Consular matricula, Cedula from any country, or passports
- Utility bill: Current gas, electricity, or water bill
- Birth Certificate
- Immunizations record