Don't let the cost of college get in the way of your future. Most students receive financial aid.
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid) is your first step toward money for ANY college, no matter where you go. Applications open October 1. Check out these videos and schedule an appointment with your high school GO Center staff members for help completing your application today!
All About Financial Aid
Creating a FSA ID
Filling out your FAFSA
Filling out your TAFSA
What documents do I need to complete the FAFSA?
- An FSA ID to login and sign electronically
- Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number (if not a US citizen)
- Federal income tax returns, W-2s and other records of money earned for 2020
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
What documents do I need to complete the TASFA?
- Senate Bill 1528 Affidavit
- Federal income earned in 2020 (W-2s)
- Student and parent tax return transcripts
- Selective Service Registration Card/Letter (if male and at least age 18)
Steps to Success
#1 FSA ID
- Create this now before you begin the FAFSA
- Enter personal information
- Verify your phone and/or email address
- Save it for future use
- Do NOT share with anyone.
#2 Personal Info
- Social Security Number (for student and parents)
- Alien Registration Number (if not a US citizen)
- Driver's Licence not required but requested
#3 Financial Info
- Records of money you earned in 2020 (W-2s, tax return, etc.)
- IRS data retrieval tool may be available in FAFSA to pull your most recent tax return
- Records of assets and/or investments
- Any untaxed income
#4 Parent Info
- Most students need personal and financial information on both parents
- Use dependency and parent information reporting guides for help