The Arlington Independent School District art department has the great honor of collaborating with the City of Arlington, UTA, and the Ministerial Alliance in planning the annual Martin Luther King Celebration. This is one of the largest MLK celebrations held in the United States. The art department plays a vital role, as our wonderful Art students participate in the MLK t-shirt design contest. The winning design is printed on all publications and t-shirts worn throughout the festivities and will be on exhibit during the MLK Banquet at UTA. This year there were over 500 entries from the Junior and High school level. The annual competition provides scholarships and awards to Arlington area youths whose artwork best represents Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream and the movement for racial justice and equality. Please visit the Arlington MLK website for a complete list of events and celebrations.
2015-2016 Art Contest Winners
- First Place - Thien Bui, Arlington High School - $1,000 Award
- Second Place - Kate Knight, Martin High School - $750 Award
- Third Place - Kaila Garcia, Ousley JH - $500 Award
- Eligibility: Open to Junior High and High School students who are attending Arlington schools or residing within Arlington city limits.
- Participating Campuses: All AISD Junior High & High School campuses
- Level: Junior and High School Students