HIGH SCHOOL ONLINE CREDIT RECOVERY GUIDELINES
The Arlington ISD uses the Edgenuity online program for credit recovery and grade redemption for secondary students, grades 7-12. The Edgenuity program provides a learning environment to support blended instruction. Edgenuity’s target population are students that are at-risk of failing or have failed a six weeks (grade redemption) and students that have already failed a semester course and need to earn credit for the course (credit recovery). The Edgenuity program is a self-paced program for students that are self-motivated and self-disciplined enough to successfully complete the online assignments. The goal of the credit recovery program is to ensure that all students are given the opportunity to graduate on time.
- All students, who have failed a semester course, will be afforded the opportunity to recover the failed semester credit in the credit recovery lab if space is available and the course is offered.
- The successful Edgenuity student needs to be self-directed and focused in order to successfully complete online assignments.
- Credit recovery can be used for original credit under limited special circumstances identified by counselor. Documentation of original credit must be approved and signed by principal.
- Edgenuity is a web-based curriculum program; therefore, students can access it at home. To ensure the integrity of the program, most of the Edgenuity coursework must be completed in the lab at school and all quizzes, tests, and exams must be proctored in the lab at school.
- Students completing coursework for a previously failed course will receive the grade earned in credit recovery.
- The previous failing grade will remain on the transcript.
- Students who complete coursework for grade redemption will have the failing six-week grade replaced with a grade between 70 and 75.
- Students must complete grade redemption coursework in the active semester.
- Students may only complete grade redemption with the permission of the teacher of the course for which they’d like to complete grade redemption.
- Students enrolled in advanced classes may go to grade redemption if the advanced teacher supplements the online coursework with additional assignments to ensure that the curriculum meets advanced standards.
- To ensure that AP courses meet College Board requirements, grade redemption is not appropriate for AP/IB courses.
FAILURE OF A COURSE DUE TO FAILURE OF SEMESTER EXAM OPTIONS
- Students can retake the last six weeks of the semester or the weakest six weeks; the grade earned will replace the semester exam grade.
Students may recover credits lost due to attendance by completing a course in the Edgenuity program. Students should talk with their assistant principal to sign up for this course. Once the course is completed, students will be awarded the credit that was denied due to attendance.