Cynthia Carter                        EMAIL                               Suzanne Atlas                             EMAIL                                  Beverly Click                                      EMAIL
Counselor A - BAQ                                                          Counselor GON - HUM                                                           Counselor PES - ROR

Lillian Alvarado                       EMAIL                               Sofia Alvarez                               EMAIL                                  Miguel Hernandez                             EMAIL
Counselor BAR - CG                                                        Counselor HUN - MAL                                                            Counselor ROS - TOQ

Dr. Ruth DeAnda                    EMAIL                              Raveen Singh                               EMAIL                                 Bindu Kunju                                       EMAIL
Counselor CH - ESO                                                       Counselor MAM - MOR                                                           Counselor TOR - Z

Teresa Thigpen                       EMAIL                              Mya Gaines                                  EMAIL                                 Alberta Fears                                     EMAIL
Lead Counselor ESP - GOM                                            Counselor MOS - PER                                                             Counselor P-TECH

Thank you for visiting the SHHS Counselor’s page, where you will find useful information. For additional information visit



Forms for currently enrolled students including, Social Security forms, child support letters, housing forms, insurance forms and records for immigration/deferred action/dream act are all done in the Assistant Principal's Office and requires 24 hours to process. If you have questions, please call 682-867-8600.



Many scholarships and colleges require students to submit a recommendation letter. Please make sure to allow your counselor at least two weeks to fulfill a recommendation letter request. When making your request, please include a completed brag sheet. Link to brag sheet.



AISD campuses do not keep copies of diplomas or transcripts. Former and current students can order transcripts from Records Management online by visiting If you need to order a replacement diploma, contact the Main Counseling Office at 682-867- 8206.




Our department is available to provide support to all students in efforts to explore and pursue college and career opportunities. In alignment with the vision and goal of AISD, we aim to ensure that 100% of Sam Houston students graduate prepared for college, career, and citizenship. Each student can access Xello through his/her Rapid Identity Account. Xello provides students with various Career Interest Surveys and College Exploration to help students begin to set goals for the future.



Xello is a service that allows students to research career options, interests, colleges/universities and much, much more. While many of our students will use Xello in the classroom, we strongly encourage students to sit down with their parents/guardians and look over this great resource. Xello can be accessed through RapidIdentity apps.



The College and Career Center is located upstairs outside the library in room 1406. Advisors are available before, during and after school to meet with students. Please use the link below to access the College and Career website for important college information and updates.



Students can see a counselor for any reason from academic, college and career support, and social emotional support. We are here to advocate for our students and to be your support system at school. Students may contact counselors through email or by scanning QR code that are available throughout the building.



Students that have previously not passed a required course for graduation have multiple options in which credits may be recovered. Options currently available include Credit Recovery, After School Academy, and Summer School. Students should contact their counselor to get more information.


All links to other Websites from this site have been pre-screened and assessed for appropriate content. However, the Arlington Independent School District and Sam Houston High School do not assume and are not responsible for any liability and cannot guarantee that quality content standards will be maintained at these linked Websites. Please notify the webmaster immediately if these sites display inappropriate content.



Although many colleges and universities are still test optional, college admission tests are valuable in earning academic scholarship money.

ACT - American College Testing –

· The scores from an ACT can be used to determine college admission and/or academic scholarships

SAT - Scholastic Aptitude Test -

· The scores from an SAT can be used to determine college admission and/or academic scholarships
· Students may practice for the SAT by accessing Khan Academy

TSIA - Texas Success Initiative - TSIA

· SHHS provides opportunities for students to take the TSIA on campus.

o For 9th -11th grade students, the scores from the TSIA can be used to determine whether a student may take dual credit courses in high school.

o For graduating seniors, the scores from the TSIA can be used to determine which classes a student may take in college. The TSIA is required for most students attending a two-year college. Only some colleges/universities may require the TSIA for admission or course selection.



College for All Texas – one website that contains every aspect of college information

Collegeboard - one website that contains every aspect of college information. Students may also gain information and testing resources for the PSAT and SAT, find scholarship resources.

SHHS College & Career Center – find useful links, information, contact or schedule an appointment with a college advisor.



The Common Application

· Allows students to apply to colleges/universities across the country with one application

Common Black Application

· Allows students to apply to Historically Black Colleges (HBCU’s)

Apply Texas

· Allows students to apply to colleges/universities in Texas with one application



FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

· Students with a social security number or students who are classified as a permanent residence of the US may apply for federal aid to fund their college/university                  expenses.


· Both the student and custodial parent MUST have a FSA ID to complete the FAFSA application.


· Undocumented students may apply for state aid to fund their college/university expenses.
· Do I qualify for TAFSA?

AISD Scholarships – scholarships for AISD students

SHHS Scholarship Bulletin – scholarships for SHHS students

Hispanic Scholarship Fund - provides knowledge and resources to complete a higher education, while providing support services and scholarships.

Xello – in addition to all other features; it offers a scholarship search engine

Fast Web - scholarship search engine