The goal of the Family Literacy Program is to help our parents be successful partners in their children’s education. We offer ESL classes for parents of children in Arlington ISD Title 1 schools. Our dedicated and experienced instructors assist parents to gain or improve literacy skills. Also included is our Early Childhood Classroom(ECC) for our adult students' children. Our classes are free of charge; including classes at the ECC.
- Adults: Must have children in an AISD Title I school.
- Children: Must be 6 months to three-years-old and must be children of an adult student attending our program.
ENGLISH AS SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL)
These classes are for parents that are learning English as a second language. The Family Literacy Program provides classes for ESL students at all levels from beginner to advanced. Our classes are designed to reach students at any level. We assist families, from helping students who may be illiterate in their native language to assisting students with degrees from other countries who need help to communicate in English. Our curriculum follows the Texas Content Standards for Adult Education.
EARLY CHILDHOOD CLASSROOM (ECC)
The objective of the ECC program is to provide an educational opportunity for children six months to three-years-old. These classes are offered while parents attend the ESL or ABE/GED classes. Our certified staff provides the children with age-appropriate literacy activities as well as math and science lessons. Our curriculum is based on the Texas Pre-Kindergarten Guidelines.
The ECC provides the following:
- Childcare, enabling parents to attend classes
- Materials and guidance to prepare young students for Kindergarten
- Early literacy as well as math and science education
- Development support
- The opportunity for PACT time (Parents and Children Learning Together)
- Parents with strategies and educational materials to help their children at home
We provide daily classes Monday to Friday. Students have two choices:
- Morning: Monday - Friday from 8:15-11:15 AM
- Afternoon: Monday - Friday from 12:15-3:15 PM
The Family Literacy Program is located in the portables that face Carter Dr. at Morton Elementary.
HOW DO I ENROLL?
We currently have a waiting list to be enrolled in our program. Please call 682-867-7267 or come by our office to make sure your name is on the waiting list. We will call you to make an appointment as soon as there is a seat available. Please bring to your appointment:
- Photo ID: We accept any government issued ID including Mexican consular matricula, cedula from any country, or a passport.
- Utility bill: Current gas, electricity, or water bill
- Birth Certificate
- Immunizations record