Special Education Routes
Special education students are eligible for transportation if the need is established through the Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) process.
- Scheduling: Policies / Procedures
- Scheduling students for Special Needs transportation may take 3-5 business days.
- Changes in service may also take 3-5 business days for processing.
- The goal for Special Needs Routing is to have no student on the bus for more than 45 minutes.
- Pick-up and drop-off sequence and times are based on the student's proximity to the school and the medical needs of the students assigned to the route.
- Arlington ISD Transportation Department provides pick-up and drop-offs as specified in the student’s transportation supplement. It is the parent/caregiver responsibility to meet the bus at the curb to transfer custody of the student.
Diagnostic Evaluation and Ard Papers
The Transportation Department is unable to set up transportation for a child unless we have the proper paper work for the child. Meetings are scheduled to evaluate the type of educational accommodations needed for the child and transportation if qualified and needed, thus the IEP papers are sent from the school to transportation, informing Transportation of the requirements. There is a three to five-business day turn-around time for the set-up of the students' transportation which is done by the Special Education Router Foreman . When the driver is contacted and a bus assigned, the driver will leave a yellow card at the residence with the bus information, as well as the pick-up and drop-off time schedule for the parent. This procedure insures that each child is given a bus specifically designed for their needs.